26 September, 2015

Reflection Project 1

After 4 weeks of working on the QRG, I am finally done. In this post, I will reflect on the process of writing this project.

Prabhu, B. "Tso Kiagar Lake Ladakh" 7/19/07 via Wikipedia. Attribution 2.0 Generic

What challenges did you face during the Quick Reference Guide project and how did you deal with them?

This was challenging because I had to write in a genre I have never heard of before. Some conventions are similar to other genres I am familiar with but other conventions were totally new to write with. Time spent in class breaking down this genre helped a lot. I don't think my QRG would look nearly the same if we hadn't gone over so much in class.

What successes did you experience on the project and how did they happen?

I think there were many successes during this project. My research was more vigorous than any project I've ever done (except a debate project senior year) and general writing conventions are clearer to me now. The research was done in multiple blog posts, the most important of which is the annotated bibliography. Writing conventions were focused on in the two "Clarity" blog posts.

What kinds of arguments, rhetorical strategies, design choices and writing practices did you find the most effective for your project? Why?

The kinds of arguments, rhetorical strategies, and design choices were decided for me by the genre. There is no bias supposed to be presented in the QRG, it's supposed to be informative so direct rhetorical strategies were used, and design choices needed to follow the QRG genre with plenty of white space, subheadings, etc. I don't usually revise my paper as much as I did in this project. Usually I write BS for the rough draft then totally rewrite the essay for the final draft, but in this project, I kept most of my rough draft and edited it where needed.

What kinds of arguments, rhetorical strategies, design choices and writing practices did you find were not effective for your project? Why?

Arguments, rhetorical strategies, and design choices were decided for me in this project. Writing practices I did not find effective in this project was trying to write according to the rubric. I tried to write this so that I checked points off the rubric but this rubric is so massive that it really didn't help. Instead I wrote what I thought was important and it checks points off the rubric anyway.

How was the writing process for this project similar to other school writing experiences you’ve had in the past?

This project is similar to a debate project I had senior year. It had to follow a very particular structure and it was heavily research based. They differ in that this project doesn't pay attention to details as closely as the debate project did.

How was the writing process for this project different from other school writing experiences you’ve had in the past?

In comparison to the debate project and this project, all my other projects were not structured very well. We were just told the requirements then forgot about the project until the week it was due. The debate project and this project built up to the final product in small but USEFUL steps. Some projects attempted to give smaller steps but they were not helpful whatsoever and often just added more work to be done.

Would any of the skills you practiced for this project be useful in your other coursework? Why or why not?

The generic writing conventions and analyzing a new genre can be applied anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment