22 November, 2015

Reflection on Project 3

In this post, I reflect on project 3 by answering the questions on page 520 of Writing Public Lives.

Sullivan, Matthew "Something_to_see_here_3" 8/18/07 via Flickr.com. Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic

1. What was specifically revised from one draft to another?

I added content to the conclusion and the paragraph before the conclusion, I added a title, and grammatical issues were corrected.

2. Point to global changes: how did you reconsider your thesis or organization?

The changes done in the last two paragraphs put a heavier emphasis on the point that both sides of this debate need to work together to make this issue better. This appeals to a wider range of readers and takes heat away from this argument to try to do something productive.

3. What led you to these changes? A reconsideration of audience? A shift in purpose?

The purpose was always there, it was just underdeveloped. I was losing momentum toward the end of my rough draft and I just wanted to be done so it was half-hearted the first time through.

4. How do these changes affect your credibility as a writer?

This ending appeals to a wider audience and makes me more moderate as a writer. It shows that my purpose is to make this problem better and I chose a side that I think can best address the issue.

5. How will these changes better address the audience or venue?

My audience is against animal testing so taking a moderate purpose is going to appeal to them more than simply telling them they're wrong.

6. Point to local changes: how did you reconsider sentence structure and style?

I changed some sentences to be shorter because they were run-ons. I was just hauling out a rough draft and run-ons happen quite frequently for me, especially when I try to get ideas out quickly. This change makes my paper more professional, which is a big part of my genre.

7. How will these changes assist your audience in understanding your purpose?

I don't think it helps the audience understand my purpose better but it certainly makes my paper easier to read.

8. Did you have to reconsider the conventions of the particular genre in which you are writing?

No, I stuck closely to the conventions of my genre in the rough draft so I didn't have to change anything in that regard for the final draft.

9. Finally, how does the process of reflection help you reconsider your identity as a writer?

Reflection lets me analyze where my weak points are as a writer and take steps toward strengthening those points.

No comments:

Post a Comment