07 November, 2015

Considering Visual Elements

I will consider visual elements in this post.

File:Truncated Bar Graph.svg
Smallman12q "A truncated bar graph" 6/28/12 via Wikipedia. Public Domain. 

Does the image inform or emphasize my argument in an important way, or does it seem superficial or unrelated to my argument?

For my genre, the only images that would help my argument are charts or graphs. Even then, most statistics on animal testing are estimations that vary greatly so presenting data with a high margin of error would not help my argument.

If the image is a graph or chart, does it clearly support a major point of my argument of is it superfluous?

As I stated in the last question, the data are estimations that vary greatly. If I try to use a data point without its huge range, that would harm my credibility and the credibility of my argument. Most data will not be able to clearly support one of my major points.

Is the image is close proximity to the argument that it is emphasizing or illustrating?

If I do end up using a graph, it will be pretty clear what it is expressing. The graph title and axes should make it obvious. Generally, graphs are placed just before the explanation in research papers, so that's what I will do if I choose to do so.

If your project contains large blocks of text, could they be broken up more effectively using text boxes, lines, headings, or images?

My essay will contain large blocks of text but that's part of the genre. There isn't supposed to be anything visually appealing about it, so I will not use boxes, lines, or subheadings. The only possibility of an image is a graph but I am not planing to use one in this project.

Do the different visual and textual elements come together persuasively as a whole, or are there elements that seem disconnected or out of place?

The graphs and their explanations will be obviously connected to the argument. Unless a graph can produce a shocking statistic, I don't think it will be anymore persuasive to my audience than just stating the numbers.

Looking back at your outline or a draft of your project, is the visual-rhetorical tone of your project consistent?

The only type of image that would be appropriate for my genre is a graph because this is a very formal and academic paper. As long as I stick to that, the visual-rhetorical tone will be consistent.


Reflection
I read the posts by Kelly and Isabel. Some parts of their genre are similar to mine, like the evidence based argument, but my genre is very different from theirs when it comes to visual elements. My genre leaves no space for creative freedom while both of theirs do and they are utilizing it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Your genre and mine are very different and it was interesting to see what would work best in your argument. I agree, because your article is an academic anything other than graphs and charts would be distracting and take away from the point you are trying to make. It sounds like you have a really good idea of what the conventions of your genre are, especially because they are so different from the types of writing that we are doing now.

    ReplyDelete